Why We Strongly Encourage Everyone To Attend A Local PFLAG Support Meeting
- Our local support meetings are, by far, the best way to get quick, meaningful support from PFLAG volunteers — people just like you. Why? We’ve all “been there” (i.e., where you are now) and therefore fully understand the range of emotions and situations you may be dealing with.
- Please take a moment, take a deep breath, and relax — you don’t have to attend immediately. Sometimes, people have to work up some “courage” to attend a meeting (then, once they do, they often look back and laugh at why they thought any courage was needed at all).
- You can read, read, read until the cows come home, but it is usually through listening to the stories of others at support meetings and talking about your own experiences that real personal growth occurs. Why delay that growth?
- There is no better place to gain an understanding of your gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender or “questioning” (LGBTQ+) child (or an understanding of your parents if you are LGBTQ+) than by listening to and talking with an unrelated LGBTQ+ individual (or someone else’s parents).
- Best of all, everyone who attends is there to learn and to support everyone else there in a friendly and confidential atmosphere.