PFLAG Phoenix Has 5 Local Meetings
Every 1st Friday of the Month
7:00pm – 8:30pm
(General Support Group)
More info on Tempe meeting
2. Central Phoenix
Every 3rd Monday of the Month
7:00pm – 9:00pm
(Educational program & general support group)
More info on Central Phoenix meeting
Every 2nd Wednesday of the Month
5:00pm – 6:30pm
(Beatitudes support group)
More info on Beatitudes meeting
4. Native American Chapter
Please check their website for time, dates, and location.
(Native American Chapter support group)
More info on Native American Chapter meeting
Every 3rd Tuesday of the Month
7:00pm – 8:30pm
(General Support Meeting)
More info on Mesa meeting
Our Support Meeting Guidelines
- Confidentiality is a must & is required of everyone.
- We hope you will participate, but it is okay to ‘pass’.
- Please give your full attention & avoid side conversations.
- Please respect each other’s place in their journey.
- Avoid telling others what they ‘should’ do – instead, share what you’ve done, or possibilities they may want to consider.
- Some people just need to vent & don’t want advice.
- Please refrain from monopolizing the discussion
- Please help us help those present who are most in need.
- Please take cell phone calls outside if you must answer.
- Please help the facilitator keep things focused & on-track.
Simple Ways To Help Out At Support Meetings
- Just SHOW UP! Seriously!
PFLAG works so well simply because ordinary people like you show up and share their stories and their experiences. Just having people do that is tremendously helpful to us. You don’t have to have some tragic, heart-wrenching personal story to share — you might be a straight ally who simply wants to see an end to LGBT discrimination, or a parent of a LGBT person who never had any issue with having a LGBT child, or an LGBT person who had no issues ‘coming out’ as LGBT. As you attend PFLAG more regularly, you’ll pick up on other areas where we could use help.
- Arrive a little early to help arrange chairs and/or tables, set up our “lending library”.
- Bring refreshments for other attendees (e.g., home-baked goodies, cookies, soda, ice).
- Sit at our “Greeter’s Table”, greet people as they arrive, help them sign-in, give them pamphlets & name tags, answer questions, etc.
- Sit at our “Lending Library” to answer questions and/or assist those who wish to check out books, videos, etc.
- Stay a little late to help put away chairs and/or tables as we found them, or to help pack up our “lending library”, “greeter’s table” materials, and/or refreshments.
- Help us find a great guest speaker! Our central Phoenix location features a guest speaker each month — but our other locations can benefit from an occasional guest speaker also. Know someone with a compelling story? Please email us!
A Plea From PFLAG: We Needs PARENTS!
Dear Parents: Unfortunately, it’s time to sound the alarm bells once again. We simply don’t have enough parents at our PFLAG support meetings to support other parents there fresh with the news that their child is gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender. Imagine for a moment that when you had originally come to PFLAG for support, instead of meeting other caring and supportive parents you found only caring and supportive GLBT people who sat with you and tried their best to tell you what other parents go through. Would you believe anything they had to say? This scenario is happening more and more at our local support meetings.
Parents, we need your caring and understanding, we need your stories and your experiences, and mostly, we need your wisdom and truths for these parents that it’s all going to be okay. Please consider just dropping in at our local support meetings to just give support — we promise not to saddle you with any other PFLAG “jobs”. Just come, share and “pay forward” what PFLAG has given to you. And even if you can’t attend our support meetings, let us know that you’re willing to talk with other parents of teens, and we’ll connect you all. Just email us.
Answers To Questions You May Have About Support Meetings
- What happens at PFLAG support meetings?
- Common concerns/fears about attending your first PFLAG support meeting.
- Why we strongly encourage everyone to attend a local support meeting!
- Why are support meetings held at churches?
- How can I contribute at a support meeting?